The South Eastern Times : October 9th 2014
BOWL 31S Championship time THE Labour Day holiday saw the culmination of both the men’s handicap pairs and the mixed pairs championships at Millicent Bowling Club. Both finals were played in extremely windy conditions, which necessitated a lot of concentration from all players. The men’s final was played out between the teams of Bob Baxter/ Max Robbins and Bruce Pettman/John Eldridge with Baxter and Robbins taking the prize. Herb Henderson and Esther Scudds defeated Neil Whelan and Judy Saint in the mixed pairs final. ON THE BALL: Bob Baxter and Max Robbins performed well to claim the men’s handicap pairs competition on Monday. GRIEVE SHIELD WINNERS (from left): Beachport Golf Club members, Robyn Walters, Julie Howe and Rita Mitchell combined to win the annual Grieve Shield at the recent South East District Women’s Golf Championships at Lucindale. Beachport wins Grieve Shield BEACHPORT has won the annual Grieve Shield in the South East District Women’s Golf Championships held at Lucindale recently. NUMBER ONE: Esther Scudds and Herb Henderson defeated their opponents to take out the mixed pairs final at Millicent Bowling Club. RUNNERS-UP: Judy Saint and Neil Whelan were runners-up in the mixed pairs championship. Lower South East Bowls Association pennant teams Women (tomorrow) Beachport Division 3 Red (home v Mount Gambier RSL): J. Preston (skip), M. Bowman, P. Wakelin, V. Bowman; J. Mc Arthur (skip), R. Burdon, I. Allwright, R. Sims. Division 3 Blue (home v Robe): S. Young (skip), M. Redden, A. Young, R. Kain; S. Werchon (skip), A. Weise, M. Snook, L. Smith. Reserve: N. Killick. Emergency: P. Allwright. Umpire: J. Preston Millicent Division 1 (home v Mount Gambier RSL): Esther Scudds (skip), Merle Stevens, Ros Varcoe, Shirley Galpin; Judy Saint (skip), Heather Carthew, Margaret Fennell, Betty Pretty. Division 2 Red (home v Millicent Blue): Ella Pietersma (skip), Carlene Godden, Jan Buhlmann, Carol Gibbs; Mary Clifford (skip), Di Stephens, Barbara Schuller), Mary Cambell. Division 2 Blue (away v Millicent Red): Dorothy Evans (skip), Dawn Bellman, Maureen Fitter, Norman Peart; Margaret Johnson (skip), Liz Carnellor, Joan Ellis, Adrianna Ross. Division 3 (away v Naracoorte RSL): Dorothy Harkness (skip), Mary Allen, Pat Hitchcock, Robin Rolfe; Fay Richards (skip), Maureen Elton, Bev Davey, Lorraine Madden. Emergency: Dennis Clifford. Umpire and Measurer: Judy Saint and Merle Stevens. Men (Saturday) Beachport Division 4 (home v Mount Gambier RSL): B. Jolley (skip), W. Burdon, R. Dunsford, E. Burleigh; P. Coping (skip), T. Sheperd, R. Carlson, N. Killick; A. Mc Kenzie (skip), G. Trezise, J. Gilbertson, B. Sims. Emergency: J. McArthur. Millicent Division 1 Red (home v Mount Gambier Blue): Terry Barnes (skip), John Scudds, Neil Whelan, Denis Clifford; Iain Campbell (skip), Peter Scanlon, Derk Pietersma, Ashley Madden; Rod Gibbs (skip), Glen Jones, Ian Ross, David Crase. Division 1 Blue (away v Naracoorte RSL): Herb Henderson (skip), Derek Bowering, Bill Davis, Peter Varcoe; Marino Gandolfi (skip), Glen Schapel, John Madden, Dennis Schulz; Steve Carnellor (skip), John WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 9 0120am 1.1 0826am 0.4 0125pm 0.9 0602pm 0.4 Friday 10 0150am 1.2 0903am 0.5 0151pm 0.9 0613pm 0.3 Saturday 11 0222am 1.2 0751am 0.5 0217pm 0.8 0638pm 0.2 Sunday 12 0254am 1.3 0749am 0.6 0244pm 0.8 0707pm 0.2 Max 23°C Min 7°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 60% Thursday Max 22°C Min 11°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 20% Friday Max 19°C Min 10°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 60% Saturday Max 17°C Min 8°C Showers Chance of Rain - 40% Sunday Max 17°C Min 5°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 40% Monday Thursday Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the early morning. Light winds becoming northwest to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h early in the morning then becoming light in the late afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to between 5 and 8 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s. Friday Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Winds north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h shifting south to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to around 11 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s. Saturday Cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Winds southerly 15 to 25 km/h tending southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning then becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 9 with daytime temperatures reaching around 19. Coastal: Thursday Winds Northeast to northwest 5 to 10 knots, reaching 10 to 15 knots offshore. Seas Below 1 metre. Swell West to southwesterly 2.5 to 3 metres decreasing to 2 to 2.5 metres in the evening. Friday Winds North to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots becoming variable about 10 knots during the day then becoming southerly 15 to 20 knots during the late afternoon. Seas Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the evening. Swell Southwesterly 2 to 2.5 metres. www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au 651033 The South Eastern Times, Thursday, October 9, 2014 - 31 ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 9 0132am 1.1 0838am 0.4 0137pm 0.9 0614pm 0.4 Friday 10 0202am 1.2 0915am 0.5 0203pm 0.9 0625pm 0.3 Saturday 11 0234am 1.2 0803am 0.5 0829pm 0.8 0650pm 0.2 Sunday 12 0306am 1.3 0801am 0.6 0256pm 0.8 0719pm 0.2 Thursday 9th Friday 10th Saturday 11th Sunday 12th Sunrise 6:31 Sunrise 6:30 Sunrise 6:28 Sunrise 6:27 Sunset 7:19 Sunset 7:20 Sunset 7:21 Sunset 7:22 The championships attracted 11 club entries including Beachport, Robe, Kingston, Naracoorte, Millicent, Lucindale, Blue Lake, Mount Gambier, Keith, Penola and Bordertown. The competition field included Buhlmann, Lindsay Warneke, John Eldridge. Cars leave clubrooms at 11.15am. Division 3 Red (home v Mount Gambier RSL Red): Bob Baxter (skip), Phil Ryan, Malcolm Wright, Rob Chambers; Rod Horne (skip), Wayne Burris, Clive Stevens, Terry Lonergan; Glen Tilley (skip), Paul Ryan, Alan Correll, Peter Hyland. Division 3 Blue (away v Port MacDonnell): Arnold Damhuis (skip), Andy Kramer, Norman Peart, Alby Cecotti; Bill Schuller (skip), Rod Harkness, Brian Atkinson, Alan Strother; Bill Cattanach (skip), David Taylor, Glen Brown, Ray Doecke. Cars leave clubrooms at 11.20am. Division 4 (away v Lucindale): Bruce Pettman (skip), Mario Rodaro, Max Richards, Peter Bateman; Doug Chilton (skip), Robert Atkinson, Cliff Elton, Barry Stoddart; Colin Pye (skip), Ron Trewin, Ken Taylor, Max Robbins. Cars leave clubrooms at 11.20am. Division 5 (practice match): Ed Fitter (skip), Bill Mullan, Maureen Fitter, Bill Fennell; Brenton Williams (skip), Max Blacketer, Dick VanDerheul, Brian Johnson. Emergency: Margaret Johnson. Umpire: John Scudds. Measurer: Iain Campbell. Contact: Steve Carnellor 0428-770-174. more than 60 players from around the region and also involved events for other players including graded scratch and handicap titles. Beachport had six representatives and current club champion, Robyn Walters had an impressive day out and despite feeling a little under the weather she finished scratch runner-up with a score of 91. The newly crowned district A grade champion was Karon Dinning from Bordertown who posted a winning 86. Beachport’s Julie Howe also came home with some prizes, winning the C grade handicap with 69 and also the veterans trophy while clubmate, Rita Mitchell was C grade runner-up on 74 and also won a nearest to the pin award. The Beachport team members played well to win the Grieve Shield which was determined by the aggregate of the best three 18-hole handicap scores. Robyn Walters, Julie Howe and Rita Mitchell combined for a total nett score of 223. Green burns up at Beachport A TOTAL of 14 players competed at the Beachport Golf Club in Round 3 of the Captain’s Trophy and Monthly Medal on Monday. The competition format included 18-holes of strokeplay and a putting event. In A grade, Jan Green continued her form in the pleasant playing conditions with an impressive nett 69, four strokes ahead of Kaye Best. As no player was the nearest to the pin on the 6th hole in A grade, the prize will jackpot to next week. A grade putting winner was Kaye Best with 30 strokes. In B grade, Kath Bishop returned to the top of the leaderboard with 69 nett, one stroke clear of Rita Mitchell and the pin shot trophy went to Marilyn Bellinger. There was a tie between Rita Mitchell and Jillyann Herdman on 34 in the putting competition. Meanwhile the winner of the October Monthly Medal was Jan Green.
October 7th 2014
October 14th 2014