The South Eastern Times : February 26th 2015
RACING 23 At the Barrier with David Gilbert NARACOORTE trainer Sue Jaensch has had a string of handy stayers in the past decade and currently has another one to add to the list. The likes of Fereronoche, the ill- fated Lady Avacan and Albonetti have all put Jaensch on the racing map, not only in the Limestone Coast but also at city level. Lady Avacan won the last race ever conducted at Cheltenham in Adelaide and Albonetti is currently in light work after falling in the Moonee Valley Gold Cup last October. PROMISING RECORD: With Millicent connections as her breeder, Letmedowngently has started her racing career with three wins in her first five starts. This month, however, a mare has come on the scene by the name of Letmedowngently to again have racing pundits wondering just how far the four-year-old might go. Letmedowngently had only won a maiden at Mount Gambier last year before heading into a 2000 metre 0-62 race on Nararcoorte Cup day earlier this month, and upstaged her more experienced rivals to win with something in hand. The smiles on the faces of her breeders, the local pair of Brian “Arch” Bowman and Andy Varcoe, were as wide as the Pacific Ocean. Then, on Monday, Letmedowngently went up another gear when Jaensch again threw her in the deep end by tackling a 2000 metre Benchmark 70 race at Ararat. Letmedowngently has now won three of her first five starts but last week was really a 0-58 (or improvers class) galloper taking on some very experienced rivals, some of whom had competed in open company the previous start. EARLY FAVOURITE: Courtesy of the fastest heat and drawing the pole, the David Drury trained and driven Kyms Boy has been installed as the early favourite for the $12,000 Baxter Hire/ Carlton Draught Mount Gambier Pacing Gold Cup on Saturday night. WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 26 0104am 0.8 0943am 0.2 0619pm 0.9 1012pm 0.7 Friday Saturday 28 0132am 0.9 1103am 0.3 Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 20% UV: Very High Thursday Max 26°C Min 11°C Cloudy Chance of Rain - 50% UV: Very High Friday Max 30°C Min 12°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 80% UV: Very High Saturday Max 29°C Min 17°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 20% Sunday Max 21°C Min 12°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain -40% Monday Max 22°C Min 7°C Thursday Partly cloudy. Light winds becoming southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late afternoon then becoming light in the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 11 with daytime temperatures reaching 23 to 29. Friday Cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower. Light winds. Overnight temperatures falling to around 13 with daytime temperatures reaching 28 to 33. Saturday Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower, more likely in the afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm in the north in the afternoon and evening. Winds north to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h shifting southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to around 18 with daytime temperatures reaching 27 to 32. Thursday Winds Westerly 10 to 15 knots decreasing to about 10 knots in the morning then becoming south to southwesterly in the evening. Seas Below 1 metre. Swell Southwesterly 1.5 to 2 metres. Friday Winds South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning east to northeasterly during the morning then tending east to southeasterly during the afternoon. Seas Below 1 metre, increasing to around 1 metre during the morning. Swell Southwesterly 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2 metres south of Port MacDonnell. 659475 www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au 27 0121am 0.8 1024am 0.3 0806pm 0.9 1100pm 0.8 - - Sunday 29 2355am 0.9 0824am 0.4 1138pm 1 ROBE TIDE TIMES Saturday 28 0144am 0.9 115am 0.3 - - - - - Thursday 26 0116am 0.8 0955am 0.2 0631pm 0.9 1024pm 0.7 Friday 27 0133am 0.8 1036am 0.3 0818pm 0.9 1112pm 0.8 - Sunday 29 0107am 0.9 0836am 0.4 1150pm 1 Thursday 26th Sunrise 6:50 Friday 27th Saturday 28th Sunday 29th Sunrise 6:51 Sunrise 6:52 Sunrise 6:53 - - - - Sunset 7:52 Sunset 7:51 Sunset 7:50 Sunset 7:48 The South Eastern Times, Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 23 Letmedowngently ($8.60) did not know that and the mare again powered home from mid field for regular jockey Christine Puls to win by more than two lengths. With three wins, two over a mile and a quarter, from only five starts, Letmedowngently looks to have a very promising staying career ahead. Gold Cup this Saturday night THE biggest harness racing event in the Limestone Coast is this Saturday night with the running of the $12,000 Mount Gambier Gold Cup at the Greenwald Paceway in Mount Gambier. With no Globe Derby meeting in “GILBO’S” CHOICE: South Eastern Times racing writer, David Gilbert believes Mad Robber is the horse to beat in Saturday night’s Baxter Hire/ Carlton Draught Mount Gambier Pacing Gold Cup. Adelaide, Mount Gambier takes centre stage for South Australian harness racing for the night. There are seven races, the first at 6.15pm and the last at 9.35pm. It is always one of the bigger sporting nights of the year for the region, and the club is catering for the entire family. For the younger ones, there are face paintings, fairy floss, and a jumping castle, while the popular pony races start at 6pm. Pacers from western Victoria and Adelaide will take on the locals in the Gold Cup final which will be run at 8.25pm. By winning his heat in the quickest time and also drawing the pole, the David Drury trained and driven Kyms Boy is expected to run favourite ahead of the Victorian, Mad Robber. Baxter Hire/Carlton Draught Mount Gambier Pacing Gold Cup $4 Kyms Boy $4.50 Mad Robber $8 Always Wantano $10 Millwood Chloe, Starlight Logan $15 Dagati Image, Purple Royale (emergency) $34 Lucys Pride, Magical Bazz $66 Adams Express $81 Our Flash Of Fire $101 Ruffiano $126 Tobias James Our selection is Mad Robber on the proviso the pacer gets away cleanly and not blow the start by 80 metres as he did in his heat (when third, beaten eight metres). Mount Gambier next Wednesday IT’S the annual publicans’ day race meeting at Mount Gambier next Wednesday (March 4) and good fields can be expected for the eight races following the recent increase in stakemoney for the midweek provincial meetings. At least seven hotels have already indicated their involvement on the day and the club has received nearly 70 bookings for lunch from Australian Hoteliers Association members.
February 24th 2015
March 3rd 2015