The South Eastern Times : March 5th 2015
SPORT 19 SPOILS OF VICTORY: Part owner of Case Forty Seven, David Spier (right) is joined at the presentation ceremony of the Allan A. Scott Memorial by (from left) Mr Phil Wood (Mount Gambier Harness Racing Club president) and the late Allan Scott’s grand daughters, Prue Xanthos and Libby Marcus. Melbourne Cup on Millicent’s agenda? Club committee wants trophy to come to town during Australian tour days earlier. 9 SPOILS OF VICTORY: Part owner of Case Forty Seven, David Spier (right) is joined at the presentation c ORT 19 SPOILS OF VICTORY: Part owner of Case Forty Seven, David Spier (right) is joined at the presentation ceremony of the Allan A. Scott Memorial by (from left) Mr Phil Wood (Mount Gambier Harness Racing Club president) and the late Allan Scott’s grand daughters, Prue Xanthos and Libby Marcus. Melbourne Cup on Millicent’s agenda? Club committee wants trophy to come to town during Australian tour days earlier. IN IN recent times, a couple of committee persons of the Millicent Racing Club have expressed interest in getting the Melbourne Cup trophy to come to Millicent as part of its annual tour around Australasia. Since 2003, the Melbourne Cup trophy has travelled extensively around Australia and New Zealand, going on display at various towns, villages and cities, and is also taken to hospitals and retirement villages. One place it has never been to is Millicent and now is the time for locals to put up their hand if they so desire the famous trophy to come to town. The Victoria Racing Club is currently inviting towns and cities to nominate to get the chance to host the 2015 Melbourne Cup trophy tour. Applications are open to community groups, councils and racing bodies anywhere in Australia and New Zealand to view the $175,000, 18 carat gold Melbourne Cup trophy, also known as the “Loving Cup.” Because of her good draw (barrier three), the four year old mare was sent out favourite ($3.80) in the final and never gave her backers a moments concern after being able to lead for young Victorian driver Chris Svanosio. It was start number 14 for Case Forty Seven and her first win following five previous seconds and a third. “Gwen was ill and could not be present to see the win, so we have banned her from going in future,” Spier joked as he recalled the memorable night. “We were beginning to think she was a bridesmaid, but with that win she will be going to Horsham next Monday, all being well,” he added. NEXT CAMPAIGN: Fort Chauvel from the Millicent stables of Craig Stewart, is nominated for this Saturday’s Edenhope Cup meeting. Expressions of interest close on April 13 and further information can be gleaned from the website - www.melbournecuptour.com.au Cup night thrill RETIRED local school teacher David Spier is still on cloud nine after his pacer Case Forty Seven WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 5 0126am 1.1 0820am 0.4 0142pm 0.9 0636pm 0.4 Friday 6 0151am 1.1 0813am 0.4 0206pm 1 0709pm 0.4 Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 40% UV: Very High Thursday Max 19°C Min 12°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 60% UV: Very High Friday Max 21°C Min 11°C Clearing Shower Chance of Rain - 50% UV: Very High Saturday Max 22°C Min 12°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 70% Sunday Max 23°C Min 11°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain -70% Monday Max 21°C Min 12°C Thursday Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower, more likely about southern coasts. Winds south to southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h tending west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the afternoon and evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 12 with daytime temperatures reaching between 18 and 21. Friday Cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers in the south, slight (20%) chance elsewhere. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 9 and 12 with daytime temperatures reaching the low 20s. Saturday Cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower in the morning. Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning then becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 11 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s. Thursday Winds Southwesterly 25 to 30 knots decreasing to 15 to 25 knots early in the morning. Seas 2 to 3 metres, decreasing to 1.5 to 2 metres during the morning. Swell Southwesterly 4 to 6 metres. Friday Winds West to southwesterly 15 to 25 knots. Seas 1 to 1.5 metres, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres south of Port MacDonnell. Swell Southwesterly 4 to 5 metres, decreasing to 3 metres during the afternoon or evening. 659476 www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au Saturday 7 0214am 1.1 0813am 0.4 0229pm 1 0740pm 0.4 Sunday 8 0234am 1.1 0820am 0.3 0251pm 1.1 0808pm 0.4 ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 5 0138am 1.1 0832am 0.4 0154pm 0.9 0648pm 0.4 Friday 6 0203am 1.1 0825am 0.4 0218pm 1 0721pm 0.4 Saturday 7 0226am 1.1 0825am 0.4 0241pm 1 0752pm 0.4 Sunday 8 0246am 1.1 0832am 0.3 0303pm 1.1 0820pm 0.4 Thursday 5th Friday 6th Saturday 7th Sunday 8th Sunrise 6:57 Sunrise 6:58 Sunrise 6:59 Sunrise 7:00 Sunset 7:43 Sunset 7:41 Sunset 7:40 Sunset 7:38 The South Eastern Times, Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 19 led all the way to win the final of the Allan A. Scott Memorial for R0 rated horses at the Greenwald Paceway in Mount Gambier on Saturday night. Owned by David and his wife Gwen and trained in Mount Gambier by Ben Letizia, Case Forty Seven qualified for the final with her third in the heat run 13 It was an exceptional night for harness racing in Mount Gambier with the biggest crowd for over 20 years - in excess of 2500 people - attending the cup night program. Victory in the Mount Gambier Gold Cup went to the Hamilton owned, trained and driven outsider Magical Bazz ($18.90), leading all the way to beat the Glencoe pacer Purple Royale with Dagati Image third. Magical Bazz was driven by 81-year-old Jim Barker who has now won seven Mount Gambier Gold Cups as a trainer including four as a driver. Edenhope Cup Saturday BEING the long weekend in March means the annual race meeting for the Edenhope Race Club on Saturday. Whereas the Edenhope track has been used twice in March for many years - the Apsley Racing Club normally race in late March - that is not the case this year. Apsley will race on the long weekend in June to celebrate its 150th year with the Apsley Cup worth a record $40,000. Although Edenhope will be racing for non-TAB prizemoney on Saturday, it will be covered by the TAB meeting with the $15,000 Edenhope Cup as the feature race. Millicent trainers Ray Gilcrist, Ian “Ned”Walker and Craig Stewart have all entered horses for Edenhope, as has Robe’s Scott McIntyre. The Jamie Opperman trained Woakwine is one of the top weights in the Edenhope Cup, hoping to make it two local cups in the space of a month after winning the Naracoorte Cup on February 8.
March 3rd 2015
March 10th 2015