The South Eastern Times : March 19th 2015
SPORT 23 Millicent steps it up to reach grand final THE Millicent Division 4 bowls side continues through the finals series. Against the odds the team had to make the trip to Naracoorte RSL, subsequently winning the preliminary final. The victory has given the side the opportunity to play in the grand final on its home green this weekend. The team of Arnold Damhuis, John Drew, Ed Fitter and Colin Pye won the first end with two shots, but failed to win another end for the next 10 to trail 2-17. But leader Pye suddenly hit his straps and the rest of the rink fell in behind him, winning the next eight ends. UNDER 17: Georgia Hunter (Kalangadoo), Emily Pietsch (North Gambier), Olivia Dukalskis (South Gambier), Maddie Pulmer (Hatherleigh) and Lauren Pike (East Gambier) take part in the South East Netball Academy March 14 session held at Millicent Basketball Stadium. Skills sessions prove popular Budding netballers given the right advice in Millicent IN order to improve budding netballers’ skills, the South East Netball Academy is holding monthly training sessions across the region from February until October. Sponsored by Infigen Energy and with KerriLee Bromley as head coach, 61 netballers have taken part in the sessions aiming to improve their game skills. The March 14 session was held at Millicent Basketball Stadium with the Under 13, Under 15 and Under 17 age brackets on board. UNDER 13: Head coach Kerri-Lee Bromley (centre) educates the upcoming regional stars Sapphire Sims (Millicent), Lucy Denton (Millicent), Ella Jones (Lucindale) and Charlotte Turner (Millicent). WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 19 1246am 1.1 0815am 0.4 0111pm 0.8 0722pm 0.4 Friday 20 0113am 1.1 0834am 0.4 0132pm 0.9 0802pm 0.4 Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 80% UV: Very High Thursday Max 24°C Min 15°C Clearing Shower Chance of Rain - 10% UV: High Friday Max 21°C Min 11°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 10% UV: Very High Saturday Max 23°C Min 6°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 90% Sunday Max 28°C Min 8°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain -50% Monday Max 21°C Min 13°C Thursday Partly cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Winds northerly 20 to 30 km/h shifting west to southwesterly during the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to around 15 with daytime temperatures reaching the mid 20s. Friday Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower in the morning. Winds southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h tending southerly during the afternoon then becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 10 with daytime temperatures reaching the low 20s. Saturday Sunny. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the afternoon then becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s. Thursday 19 March Winds North to northwesterly 15 to 25 knots turning westerly 20 to 25 knots during the morning, temporarily reaching 20 to 30 knots south of Port MacDonnell during the afternoon. Seas 1.5 to 2.5 metres, rising to 2 to 3 metres south of Port MacDonnell during the afternoon. Swell Southwesterly 2 to 3 metres, tending westerly 3 to 5 metres during the afternoon or evening. Friday Winds West to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots turning south to southwesterly and decreasing to 15 to 20 knots during the morning then becoming southerly 10 to 15 knots during the afternoon. Seas1.5 to 2.5 metres, decreasing to 1 metre during the afternoon. Swell West to southwesterly 3 to 5 metres. www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au Saturday 21 0140am 1.1 0842am 0.4 0200pm 1 0839pm 0.5 Sunday 22 0205am 1 0656am 0.4 0230pm 1.1 0729pm 0.5 ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 19 1258am 1.1 0827am 0.4 0123pm 0.8 0734pm 0.4 Friday 20 0125am 1.1 0846am 0.4 0144pm 0.9 0814pm 0.9 Saturday 21 0152am 1.1 0854am 0.4 0212pm 1 0851pm 0.5 Sunday 22 0217am 1 0708am 0.4 0242pm 1.1 0741pm 0.5 Thursday 19th Sunrise 7:10 Friday 20th 659478 Saturday 21st Sunday 22nd Sunrise 7:11 Sunrise 7:12 Sunrise 7:13 Sunset 7:22 Sunset 7:20 Sunset 7:19 Sunset 7:18 The South Eastern Times, Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 23 After 19 ends the Millicent side trailed by just two shots, 15-17. Winning three ends each of the final six, the side fell short by just three shots to lose 19-22 in an impressive rescue effort which kept Millicent’s grand final hopes alive. Doug Chilton, Robert Atkinson, Cliff Elton and Barry Stoddart had a similar tale, losing their first five ends to trail 0-10. A good sixth end saw them score a six to trail by only four. However, they won only two more ends before the break to trail 9-19. As every pennant bowler knows, afternoon tea often sees a shift in fortunes and so it proved again. After the break Millicent won the next six ends and hit the front to lead 20-19. The side lost one shot on each of the next two ends and trailed by one, then scored a five to lead by 25-21 with four ends to go. But the match was not settled at that stage, with Millicent failing to win any of the last four ends to lose 25-29 after an exciting contest. Meanwhile, on the third rink Bruce Pettman, Mario Rodaro, Max Richards and Ken Taylor sprinted out of the blocks to lead 16-1 after just eight ends. They lost a three on the ninth end, then won the next 10 ends to lead 38-4. To finish their stellar afternoon they won four of the last six ends, two of them by five shots and finished their afternoon 51 shots to 7. Bowls SA provided a badge to each player in a rink that scores 50 shots in a game of pennant. The whole club is behind the players and wish them well in the grand final in Millicent this weekend. The fighting qualities of the players just got them over the line and they have began to perform at the right time of the year. Results: Millicent Division 4 d Naracoorte 95-58.
March 17th 2015
March 24th 2015