The South Eastern Times : April 30th 2015
GALLOPS 27 Capacity field for Millicent Cup Final acceptances known today pacity field for Millicent Cup Final acceptances known today THE HARD WORK: Millicent trainer Craig Stewart (riding See It My Way) and Krystal Trembath (Vilify) at track work earlier this week in LOPS 27 Capacity field for Millicent Cup Final acceptances known today THE THE HARD WORK: Millicent trainer Craig Stewart (riding See It My Way) and Krystal Trembath (Vilify) at track work earlier this week in preparation for Sunday’s Scott Group of Companies Millicent Cup Carnival. Stewart doesn’t have a runner in the Millicent Cup but does have five other horses nominated in various races. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH 14 nomiing Club is once again assured of capacity fields for nearly all of the eight races for its annual meeting at Penola this Sunday. Once again, owners and trainers on both sides of the border have given excellent support for the meeting, even more pleasing given that the huge, three day Warrnambool Cup Carnival will commence just 48 hours after the Millicent meeting. A capacity field of 12 will face the starter in the $35,000 Scott Group of Companies Millicent Cup (2100 metres) and there are likely to be emergencies with 15 entries received for the event. The three runners likely to miss the cut should all 15 accept are most likely Carthy Road, Puzzleman and Cross Constance. Final fields – and times for races – will be released by Thoroughbred Racing SA late this morning. Heading the weights is dual Millicent Cup winner Evenmore-action, winner in 2012 and 2013, with the big impost of 61 kilograms. Last year’s winner Luckzat, which is yet to win a race this campaign, has the bottom weight of 54 kilograms, while the 2015 Naracoorte Cup winner Woakwine will carry 57.5 kilograms. EARLY CHANCE: It’s Martini Time, trained in Mount Gambier by Lee Creek and ridden by Chelsea Jokic is in good form and an early tip for Sunday’s $35,000 Scott Group of Companies Millicent Cup which will be run at Penola. WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 30 5.28am 0.6 11.17am 0.9 6.07pm 0.7 10.41pm 0.9 Friday 1 5.20am 0.6 11.37am 1.0 6.27pm 0.7 11.17pm 0.9 Partly cloudy Chance of Rain - 0% 0mm UV: Moderate Thursday Max 19°C Min 6°C Becoming cloudy Chance of Rain - 0% 0mm UV: Moderate Friday Max 21°C Min 6°C Shower or two Chance of Rain - 45% 1-5mm UV: Low Saturday Max 17°C Min 10°C Possible shower Chance of Rain - 35% 1-5mm Sunday Max 17°C Min 8°C A few showers Chance of Rain - 65% 15-25mm Monday Max 14°C Min 9°C District: Thursday Partly cloudy. The chance of morning fog. Light winds. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching around 20. Friday Becoming cloudy. Winds northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h turning northerly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching the low 20s. Saturday Partly cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers. Winds northerly 20 to 30 km/h turning west to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to around 11 with daytime temperatures reaching around 18. Coastal: Thursday Winds East to northeasterly 10 to 15 knots tending east to southeasterly in the late afternoon and early evening. Seas Below 1 metre. Swell Southwesterly around 2 metres. Friday Winds Northeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning northerly 15 to 20 knots during the morning. Seas Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres offshore. Swell Southwesterly 1.5 to 2 metres. 665925 www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au The South Eastern Times, Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 27 Saturday 2 5.10am 0.5 12.00pm 1.1 6.46pm 0.6 11.47pm 0.9 Sunday 3 5.12am 0.5 12.23pm 1.2 7.12pm 0.6 ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 30 5.40am 0.6 11.29am 0.9 6.19pm 0.7 10.53pm 0.9 Friday 1 5.32am 0.6 11.49am 1.0 6.39pm 0.7 11.29pm 0.9 Saturday 2 5.22am 0.5 12.12pm 1.1 6.58pm 0.6 11.59pm 0.9 Sunday 3 5.24am 0.5 12.35pm 1.2 7.24pm 0.6 Thursday 30th Sunrise 6.48am Sunset 5.23pm Friday 1st Saturday 2nd Sunrise 6:50am Sunset 5:21pm Sunday 3rd Sunrise 6.49am Sunset 5:22pm Sunrise 6:50am Sunset 5:20pm On recent form, Evenmoreaction and Woakwine, fourth at their latest outings, will be among the favourites for the second richest race of the year in the Limestone Coast. As predicted, Letmedowngently’s connections have opted to run at Warrnambool and will not line-up in the Millicent Cup. Those looking for a bit of value could do worse that have an each way wager on It’s Martini Time, a last start winner of a restricted race over 2050 metres at Mount Gambier. Optical Illusion is likely to be at double figure odds, and is a rough hope on his first up win at Naracoorte in late March. As of Tuesday afternoon, the Penola track was rated a Good 4 by track curator Rob Lepley, and there is every probability that reading will not change. Two from McEvoy stable WITH excellent prizemoney for the restricted races, leading South Australian trainer Tony McEvoy has seen fit to enter two runners for Sunday, War Thunder in the 1100 metre 0-68 handicap and Solstice in the 1100 metre maiden. Local owner/trainer Craig Stewart is really throwing his weight behind the meeting with five gallopers nominated, while fellow locals Ian “Ned” Walker has two and Ray Gilcrist one. Stewart and Walker are involved in a ding dong tussle for the owner/trainers’ premiership this season in the Limestone Coast, and Sunday may be a golden opportunity for Craig to establish a break. Two trainers looking for a change of luck on Sunday will be Bordertown’s Jeff Searle and Michael O’Leary (Mount Gambier). Jeff has not had a winner in the Limestone Coast this season, but will play a major hand in Sunday’s flying handicap should he accept with Tildy Lad. An exciting sprinter with city wins to his credit, Tildy Lad has been off the scene since late last year. “I wanted to trial him at Penola on Sunday before taking him to Adelaide, but there are no trials after the last race, so he may as well go around in the sprint,” Searle said earlier this week. “All my better horses have had some type of setback and the slower ones are just that,” Searle lamented about his run of outs at present. Michael O’Leary has not had a winner for over three months, the last being Bojani in the Summer Cup at Mount Gambier in late January, and that is definitely a drought by his standards. With autumn and the softer tracks on the horizon, you can expect the O’Leary stable to fire up, and it could easily start on Sunday at Penola where he has six runners nominated. Finding a winner IF you have some fortune at the calcutta tomorrow night at the Somerset Hotel – commencing at 8.30pm – you may not be desperate to find a winner on Sunday. In the flying handicap, if Tildy Lad is right and ready to go, he seems reasonably well weighted with 57.5 kilograms. The 1100 metre maiden will have a capacity field, and perhaps one of the first starters may be the way to go. Support your club IT’S looking like a typical autumn day on Sunday with cool to mild conditions and the odd chance of a light shower. A free public marquee with a tote and bar, situated near the fashions on the field arena, is available for the public. Heaters strategically placed around the course, will fire up if the need be. Those dressing to impress will be in the running for the Fashions at the Races competition which has the ultimate prize of a luxury racing holiday in Asia. The crowd at last year’s meet- ing was a bit disappointing in comparison to previous years, and club officials are hoping that was a one-off situation. Millicent only races once a year, so here is your chance to get behind the town and racing club and have a great day out at Penola. See you at – or near – the Redelva (public) bar on Sunday.
April 28th 2015
May 5th 2015