The South Eastern Times : May 7th 2015
SPORT 23 At the Barrier with David Gilbert Good result all round MOST people I spoke to on Millicent cup day were of the opinion that the crowd was down considerably on previous years. Certainly, I thought so. So, it came as somewhat of a surprise when Limestone Coast Thoroughbred Racing released some statistics regarding last Sunday’s meeting at Penola. The attendance was on a FOSTER’S FOODLAND 2-4-2 WINNERS: Judy Saint and Norman Peart. Peart and Saint victors ALL rinks were put to good use at Millicent Bowling Club when the Foster’s Foodland 2-4-2 was played recently. A total of 42 bowlers took to the green to enjoy the autumn sunshine to battle for the prizemoney. Winning the day was the team of Norman Peart and Judy Saint with a score of 35+20, just ahead of the second place pairing of Rosalie Burdon and Herb Henderson with 35+18. Other winners were Brentley Thomas and Iain Campbell (33+19), Peter Bateman and Terry Barnes (32+15), Max Richards and Glenn Schapel (31+4), Andy Kramer and John Scudds (30+10), Bruce Pettman and Alan Correll (30+5), Madeliene Schapel and John Eldridge (30+2) and the triples team of Sam Schofield, Faye Hill and Bill Burdon (29+2). The team of Jim Godden and Phil Dowdell played a 20+0 draw against Colin Pye and Peter Scanlon. par with 2014 at around 1000 people, and while the bookmakers’ holdings were down, the on course tote turnover was up a whopping 30pc on last year. Being an almost perfect day meant the crowd was more scattered, although it must be said the support from neighbouring towns (Mount Gambier, Penola and Naracoorte) was poor. Overall, a most satisfactory result for Millicent Racing Club officials. RUNNERS-UP: Herb Henderson and Rosalie Burdon. Murphies to defeat Hawks From back page Kongorong’s performance has been slightly better with a win over the Saints, a bye and heavy losses to Port MacDonnell and Tantanoola. The Hawks have mostly been playing with their 2014 list. The addition of North Gambier premiership player Callum Hudson offers some compensation for the move of 2012 Mail Medallist and ex-skipper Bronson Saffin to South Gambier. Brad Cordy has returned to the fold after a time with the Western Border Demons and every Hawk supporter would be hoping that circumstances will allow him to play in A grade. The host club is in desperate need of a win in either the football or the netball competitions. It would appear the Murphies have not won a game in either sporting code or at senior or underage level over the past two weekends. The visitors have happy memories of playing on the Glencoe Oval back in March when its young and fit side exploited the dry weather and firm ground and claimed the pre-season cup. With wintry weather and softer grounds now with us, this should play into the hands of the moreexperienced taller and bigger-bodied home team. PREDICTION: Glencoe by 20 points WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 7 1.25am 0.9 5.47am 0.4 2.08pm 1.4 10.00pm 0.6 Friday 8 1.52am 0.8 6.10am 0.4 2.40pm 1.4 11.11pm 0.7 A few showers Chance of Rain - 50% 1-5mm UV: Low Thursday Max 16°C Min 9°C Shower or two Chance of Rain - 50% 1-5mm UV: Low Friday Max 17°C Min 10°C A few showers Chance of Rain - 70% 5-10mm UV: Low Saturday Max 17°C Min 11°C Shower or two Chance of Rain - 65% 1-5mm Sunday Max 17°C Min 11°C Possible shower Chance of Rain - 35% 1-5mm Monday Max 16°C Min 11°C District: Thursday Medium (40%) chance of showers. Winds west to southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 7 and 10 with daytime temperatures reaching around 16. Friday Cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Winds westerly 25 to 35 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 8 and 11 with daytime temperatures reaching around 17. Saturday Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Winds westerly 25 to 40 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 9 and 12 with daytime temperatures reaching around 17. Coastal: Thursday Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Lower South East Coast. Winds West to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots, reaching 25 to 30 knots south of Port MacDonnell. Seas 2 to 3 metres. Swell Southwesterly 4 to 5 metres. Friday Winds Westerly 20 to 30 knots. Seas 2 to 3 metres. Swell Southwesterly 3 to 5 metres. 665926 www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au The South Eastern Times, Thursday, May 7, 2015 - 23 Saturday 9 2.21am 0.8 6.36am 0.4 3.16pm 1.3 Sunday 10 12.42am 0.7 2.52am 0.7 7.05am 0.4 3.56pm 1.2 ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 7 1.37am 0.9 5.59am 0.4 2.20pm 1.4 10.12pm 0.6 Friday 8 2.04am 0.8 6.22am 0.4 2.52pm 1.4 11.23pm 0.7 Saturday 9 2.33am 0.8 6.48am 0.4 3.28pm 1.3 Sunday 10 12.54am 0.7 3.04am 0.7 7.17am 0.4 4.08pm 1.2 Thursday 7th Sunrise 6.54am Sunset 5.15pm Friday 8th Saturday 9th Sunday 10th Sunrise 6.55am Sunset 5:14pm Sunrise 6:56am Sunset 5:13pm Sunrise 6:57am Sunset 5:12pm Even moreso for club president Keith Sneath who part owns the Millicent Cup winner Evenmoreaction, which created history by winning the race three times. “I was happy with the day, not just because my horse won the cup. I did expect a few more there given the sunshine, and the support from Millicent and surrounds was terrific. And, of course, the racing was very good,” Keith stated mid week. Indeed, the Millicent Cup was one of the best races seen in the region for a long time, and this comment was made by several seasoned racegoers. Evenmoreaction was on the canvas like a drunken boxer more than once from the 500 metres and rallied like only he can. Saved the day THERE is no doubt that Millicent trainer Craig Stewart “saved the day” for many punters by winning the last race with Cash Job. It was starting to look like a Millicent Cup program without a local winner until the 1400 metre 0-58 handicap. Plenty put their faith in the grey gelding, and jockey Simon Price rode with patience and confidence to send most Millicent people in the crowd home with money. A most backable favourite at around the $4 mark, Cash Job won only his third race from 35 starts, but did so in style to the cheers of the crowd. That win has given Craig a little bit of breathing space at Brent Thomson a guest THE younger generation probably have never have heard of him, but back in the 1970’s the New Zealand born jockey – then an apprentice – Brent Thomson knocked up winning Cox Plates at Moonee Valley. Brent will be a guest of the Mount Gambier club on both days, and he is obviously living HISTORY MADE: Millicent Cup winner Evenmoreaction created history by winning the race for the third time at Penola Racecourse on Sunday. the top of the owner/trainer premiership ladder, two wins in front of Ian “Ned” Walker. The Mount Gambier canrival is generally kind to “Ned” and you can bet the battle for the title is not over yet! Now for Mount Gambier THE cup caravan winds its way to Mount Gambier next week for its traditional two day carnival on Thursday, May 14 and Friday, May 15. Buses have been organised from the Somerset, the Sportsmans and the Beachport Hotel to head to the Mount on cup day (Friday), so contact those watering holes if you want to book a seat. There is a good vibe around the Mount this year regarding the carnival, and mother nature will be crucial as to its success. and eating well judging by recent photographs. Next Thursday, the club is having a prostate cancer fundraising luncheon, to be hosted by ABC Radio’s Peter Walsh (the man with the loud shirts) with Brent as the guest celebrity. It is for a good cause and the cost is a reasonable $80 which includes a seafood and steak luncheon, plus keg beer and wine. Several items will also be auctioned including a “swimming with the sharks at Port Lincoln” package. The Mount Gambier Racing Club is stressing that the luncheon is for both sexes, and bookings can be made with the club (8725 4466). Cocktail party THE social aspect of the Mount Gambier Cup carnival kicks off with the cocktail party at the City Hall from 6.30pm next Wednesday night. The $40 admission includes canapes and cocktails on arrival and the night will feature massage and manicures, hair and make up demonstrations, fashion displays, samples and vouchers, live music and a licensed bar. Tickets will be available at the door and cocktail dress applies.
May 5th 2015
May 12th 2015