The South Eastern Times : July 5th 2018
6 OPINION ONE of the important funding decisions in the dying months of the previous Labor State Government is now coming to fruition in Millicent. The SA Ambulance Service successfully lobbied the Jay Weatherillled administration to allocate significant funds to employ additional ambulance officers at stations across the state, such as the one in Millicent. The union representing paramedics and other ambulance personnel was also keen to see staffing levels lifted. The recruitment process took a few months with five additional paramedics taking up their new roles in Millicent last OUR VIEW month and a sixth to come on duty in September. There is absolutely no doubt the doubling of staffing at Millicent will further improve service delivery as well as minimise fatigue for the serving personnel. Going hand-in-hand with the additional ambulance officers in Millicent must be a commitment by the new Liberal State Government to ensure that a fully functioning and staffed accident and emergency department is provided around the clock at the local hospital. It is totally unacceptable that this did not appear to happen for a 56-hour period last month when no locum doctor was present at Millicent and District Hospital and all ambulances were diverted to Mount Gambier. Such an additional 50km journey for accident and emergency patients could be crucial in their treatment and recovery. At this time of mid-winter, travelling to Mount Gambier is often impeded by poor TALKING TO THE TIMES ABN: 65 007 614851 Published: Tuesday & Thursday Deadlines: Displays: 10am 2 days prior to publication Classifieds: 11am day prior to publication Copy: 5pm 2 days prior to publication General Manager: Dennis Jackson Phone: 8724 1505, Email: email@example.com Advertising: Katherine Taylor Phone: 8733 3755, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Sales Supervisor: Christian Greco Phone: 8724 1532, Email: email@example.com Editor: Jason Wallace Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Administration: Caroline Hammat Email: email@example.com Responsibility for editorial comment is taken by Jason Wallace, 81 Commercial Street East, Mount Gambier. The SE Times proudly uses 100% recycled paper. Send your news tips and contributions to: firstname.lastname@example.org Published by The Border Watch Pty Ltd ABN: 78 007 828 819 Registered office: 42 Davenport Street, Millicent SA 5280 Postal address: PO Box 22, Millicent SA 5280 Telephone: (08) 8733 3755 Fax: (08) 8733 4341 Business Hours: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday - Friday Proud member of Audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulations 726885 PHOTOS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE CONTACT THE SOUTH EASTERN TIMES ON 8733 3755 TO ORDER TODAY WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 5 3.38am 0.83m 7.34am 0.65m 3.59pm 1.16m 11.40pm 0.7m Friday 6 4.41am 0.83m 8.00am 0.74m 4.27pm 1.06m Thursday Max 15°C Min 8°C Showers Chance of rain - 95% 5-10mm UV: Low Friday Max 14°C Min 7°C Showers. Windy Chance of rain - 90% 5-10mm UV: Low Saturday Max 12°C Min 7°C Showers easing. Windy Chance of rain - 100% 1-5mm UV: Low Sunday Max 13°C Min 6°C Shower or two Chance of rain - 65% <2mm UV: Low Monday Max 13°C Min 6°C Cloudy Chance of rain - 35% <1mm UV: Low District: Thursday Cloudy. Very high chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm in the south. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 35 km/h in the morning then turning west to northwesterly 35 to 50 km/h during the afternoon and evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 8 with daytime temperatures reaching 15. Friday Partly cloudy. Very high chance of showers, with possible small hail in the morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning. Winds west to northwesterly 35 to 50 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 7 with daytime temperatures reaching around 15. Saturday Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely in the morning. The chance of a thunderstorm. Possible small hail. Winds westerly 35 to 50 km/h turning southwesterly 40 to 55 km/h during the morning then decreasing to 30 to 45 km/h during the afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching around 13. Coastal: Thursday Gale Warning for Thursday for lower South East Coast. Winds northerly 15 to 20 knots increasing to 20 to 30 knots during the morning turning northwesterly during the afternoon and westerly during the evening. Winds reaching 25 to 33 knots for a period during the evening, 25 to 35 knots south of Port MacDonnell. Seas 1.5 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning. Swell west to southwesterly 3 to 4 metres, decreasing to 2.5 to 3 metres during the morning. Friday Winds westerly 20 to 30 knots tending west to northwesterly 30 to 40 knots during the evening. Seas 2.5 to 4 metres. 1st Swell westerly 3 to 4 metres, tending southwesterly 4 to 5 metres during the afternoon. 2nd Swell southerly 1.5 to 2 metres, increasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning. 6 - The South Eastern Times, Thursday, July 5, 2018 Saturday 7 12.35am 0.7m 1.31pm 0.95m 11.12pm 0.69m Sunday 8 12.25pm 0.99m 11.31pm 0.67m ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 5 3.50am 0.83m 7.46am 0.65m 4.11pm 1.16m 11.52pm 0.7m Friday 6 4.53am 0.83m 8.12am 0.74m 4.39am 1.06m Saturday 7 12.47am 0.7m 1.43pm 0.95m 11.24pm 0.69m Sunday 8 12.37pm 0.99m 11.43am 0.67m Thursday 5th Sunrise 7.23am Sunset 5.02pm Friday 6th Saturday 7th Sunday 8th Sunrise 7.23am Sunset 5.03pm Sunrise 7.23am Sunset 5.03pm Sunrise 7.22am Sunset 5.04pm 733290 www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au Celebrities drive self-esteem initiative Bank ‘unfairness’ highlighted LETTERS TO THE EDITOR I WRITE from a new not-forprofit campaign which is urging parents in your area to boost their children’s self-esteem. Shocking figures show one in seven primary school children now has a diagnosable mental health disorder. This rises to 1 in 4 by the time they get to high school. A range of celebrities is behind our campaign including Olympic gold medallist Duncan Armstrong, Icehouse star Iva Davies, leading Australian female author Di Morrissey, Beaconsfield mining hero Brant Webb and actor Rob Carlton. We are warning there is no doubt that social media is causing some difficulties for some children and so many children use Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram. It’s never a good idea for children to compare themselves to others - and that’s one of the messages of our campaign. We are also highlighting there has been a rise in mental health problems in young people and suicide is the biggest killer of young people. So much more has to be done. Our simple message is help your children with self-esteem at every opportunity. Teach them to show compassion to themselves. Teach your children to have a relationship with failure - because we cannot succeed at everything. Teach them to show compassion to themselves and to be courageous. Our campaign is called “I Am Enough” and the message is for people to accept themselves and realise they are enough as they are. We have free fact sheets available for anybody who wants one. If you’d like a fact sheet, just email email@example.com. au. This is a really important not- for-profit campaign and it’s time we placed more focus on values. Thanks for taking the time to read this letter. Samrat Karki, Founder of “I Am Enough” campaign EVIDENCE provided to the Royal Commission into banking has clearly shown the unfairness of how some foreclosures are administered. I refer to cases where many farmers and small business owners are given very little time to repay borrowings to the bank. In some cases, as little as three weeks is given before the farm or business is sold to enable the bank to recover the debt. To make matters worse, quite a number of the borrowers had never missed a repayment. It is acknowledged the loan agreement does include a clause which enables the bank to implement such harsh action and the client signed the document agreeing to it. However, I doubt many clients had their attention drawn to the clause and furthermore they would never have expected it to affect them if all payments were up to date. In effect, the bank must have re-assessed the client’s position and finished their future financial status would decline and therefore the bank sought to recover the loan while it was achievable. Since banks only lend a percentage of the secured asset, a fair question would be “are they not prepared to accept any risk”? Borrowing funds from any source other than a bank would be unlikely to include such an immoral clause in the agreement. The Royal Commission has a chance to make a recommendation to permit foreclosures only where repayments are overdue and then allow a fair time before selling the asset. Ken Grundy, Naracoorte What do you think of the rolling strikes which are currently under way at the Kimberly-Clark Australia Millicent Mill? RICKY JOB Millicent I think it is good for people to look after their rights. JOHN HAMILL Millicent I hope the workers get their pay rise as they deserve it. GAIL STANLEY Millicent I hope the workers get the outcome that they want. visibility due to darkness, fog and rain, as well as the presence of kangaroos. The power-brokers in Adelaide must be continually reminded the Millicent hospital does not just serve the local district, but provides medical services to those as far away as Kingston and Robe. The Labor Party was in power for the past 16 years and deserves condemnation for stripping Millicent hospital of various services and its decision-making powers. However, it deserves praise for increasing SA Ambulance Service staffing levels at places such as Millicent.
July 3rd 2018
July 10th 2018