The South Eastern Times : May 1st 2014
NETBALL 31 Mozzies tipped over Tigers TAMMY AULD AS we tip over the half-way point of the first half of the minor round, teams are starting to settle and gather momentum in their respective playing groups. With a couple of upsets in Round 4, all teams will be looking to get back on track in Round 5 this weekend. Following a good win over the Murphies last weekend, the Roosters have the week off with the bye. Mount Burr v Tantanoola EITHER of these teams could step into the top four this weekend with a win, which will drive them both to push harder than in previous weeks. The Tigers were impressive last weekend against the Pies, pushing them until at least the three quarter break, while the Mozzies had a disappointing loss to the Saints. Jami Walker has been a stand out for the Tigers, shooting with accuracy and moving well around the goal circle. MILESTONE: Mount Burr Netball Club life member Paula Bowering will be celebrating another milestone this week when she steps onto the court for her 200th game for her club. Bowering clocks up 200 senior games MOUNT Burr Netball Club will be celebrating this weekend when Paula Bowering steps onto the court for her 200th senior game with the club. Bowering began playing for Mount Burr at the tender age of eight and has enjoyed a decorated career both on and off the court. She has won club awards including best and fairest for the B reserve in 2008, runner-up in B reserve in 2000 and B grade in 2007 and 2012. Bowering has also taken on coaching roles in senior and junior grades on numerous occasions and was a premiership coach in 2007 with her 13 and under team. She has also been heavily involved in the club off the court with over eight years of dedicated service on the netball committee, holding an executive position on each occasion. Her dedication has been acknowledged when winning the Margaret Hardy Best Club Person in 2006 and the Thelma McInnes Best Committee Person in 2005 and 2006. In recent years Bowering has also gained her C badge in umpiring and is a mentor in the Green Shirt Program for learning umpires. She has umpired in Adelaide at the Country Championships for the Mid South East Netball Association. In 2013, she was awarded life membership of the Mount Burr Netball Club. WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 1 1243am 0.9 0506am 0.3 0127pm 1.4 0911pm 0.6 Friday 2 0113am 0.8 0536am 0.3 0158pm 1.4 0941pm 0.7 Max 18°C Min 6°C Late Showers Chance of Rain - 90% Thursday Max 14°C Min 8°C Showers Chance of Rain - 80% Friday Max 14°C Min 4°C Showers Easing Chance of Rain - 40% Saturday Max 16°C Min 7°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 60% Sunday Max 16°C Min 7°C Possible shower Chance of Rain - 90% Monday Thursday Cloudy. The chance of light frost near the eastern border early in the morning. Scattered showers during the late afternoon and evening. The chance of isolated thunderstorms near the coast during the evening, extending throughout at night. Winds north to northeasterly and light tending north to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning then tending northwest to southwesterly 20 to 25 km/h in the late evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 4 and 7 with daytime temperatures reaching around 19. Friday Cloudy. Scattered showers and the chance of isolated thunderstorms. Possible small hail near the coast, extending throughout in the afternoon and evening. Winds southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 8 with daytime temperatures reaching around 15. Saturday Partly cloudy. Scattered showers easing. Possible small hail in the morning. Winds south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 4 with daytime temperatures reaching between 14 and 17. Thursday Strong Wind Warning for Thursday for Lower South East Coast Winds Northwesterly about 10 knots increasing to 15 to 20 knots during the morning and reaching 20 to 30 knots south of Port MacDonnell during the afternoon. Winds turning southwesterly in the evening. Seas Around 1 metre, increasing to 1.5 to 2.5 metres during the morning. Swell Southwesterly 2 to 3 metres. Weather The chance of thunderstorms during the late afternoon and evening. Friday Winds South to southwesterly 20 to 25 knots. Seas 1.5 to 2.5 metres. Swell Southwesterly 2.5 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres during the morning. Weather The chance of isolated thunderstorms until evening. www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au Saturday 3 0141am 0.8 0606am 0.3 0230pm 1.4 0809pm 0.7 Sunday 4 0208am 0.8 0640am 0.3 0302pm 1.3 0838pm 0.7 ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 1 1255am 0.9 0518am 0.3 0139pm 1.4 0923pm 0.6 Friday 2 0125am 0.8 0548am 0.3 0210pm 1.4 0953pm 0.7 Saturday 3 0153am 0.8 0618am 0.3 0242pm 1.4 0821pm 0.7 Sunday 4 0220am 0.8 0652am 0.3 0314pm 1.3 0850pm 0.7 Thursday 1st Friday 2nd Saturday 3rd Sunday 4th 638722 The South Eastern Times, Thursday, May 1, 2014 - 31 Sunrise 6:49 Sunset 5:21 Sunrise 6:50 Sunset 5:20 Sunrise 6:51 Sunset 5:19 Sunrise 6:52 Sunset 5:18 She will need to use her speed and agility this weekend though against the height of the Burr’s Heidi Clarke and Megan Thiele who are quick and strong in defence. Through the centre court, the battle between Tantanoola’s Casey Arney and Mount Burr’s Kate Nowak will be one to watch with both players fighting for the ball with tenacity. At the other end of the court, Simone Little has been in fine form and will pick of any loose passes into Mount Burr’s goalies Ebony Clarke and Hayley Agnew. Both Clarke and Agnew shoot with accuracy and ease once they have possession so Little and Kelsey Bromley will need to act early. The Mozzies will be more passionate about stepping back into the winners circle this weekend and will take the points. Port MacDonnell v Hatherleigh HATHERLEIGH comes off a fortnight’s break to head to the Bay this weekend. The Demons have had a successful run with a solid win in their Anzac clash against the Hawks last weekend. The Demon’s Emily Taylor and the Eagle’s Erin Watson ON TARGET: Mount Burr will looking for Hayley Agnew to be on target. will have a tough fight on their hands this weekend as they drive hard through the centre court for their respective teams. Marie Lewis has experience to give on the attacking wing for the Demons and she is likely to need it as she comes up against the youth of Hatherleigh’s Demi Smith. Both of these teams are premiership contenders this season with the Demons being the more experienced side, but the Eagle’s showing ingenuity and creativeness in their game. Kaitlyn Smith and Georgina Brooks will be tough and athletic in defence as they come up against the experienced Toni-Lee Gilmore and Tamara Ferguson. This will be the match of the round, with the Eagles taking the points following their extended rest. STRONG DEFENCE: Kaitlyn Smith and Georgina Brooks will provide a strong presence at the defensive end for Hatherliegh. Kalangadoo v Kongorong THESE teams are supporting either end of the ladder, which will make it a tough day for the Hawks this Saturday. Courtney Pink and Samantha Allen have been dominant in the centre area for the Hawks and will fight hard against the Pies Mikaila Pitt and Jayde Peacock this weekend. With Tabatha Sanderson impressive in goals and combining well with Ash Sturges, Leah Ousey and Amanda Casey will need to push hard in defence for Kalangadoo to prevent Kongorong’s goalies from gaining position. At the other end of the court, youngster Tiia Pelkonen has worked hard in defence for the Hawks and she will have to work hard this weekend against the Pie’s fit and strong Jenna Pitt. Kalangadoo have had a con- fident run to start the season, and this will allow them the confidence to take another win this weekend. Glencoe v Nangwarry THE Murphies and the Saints have both had mixed results to start the season with some unexpected losses for both teams. The Saints turned the tides last weekend though, with an unexpected win against the Mozzies. The Saints have had a variety of different teams hit the court each week, with those players who have returned for every match building in strength and confidence. The Murphies playing group settled earlier in the season, but is yet to find its best form. Bec Wilson has been dominant on the defensive wing for Glencoe and she has been ably supported by Sarah Kasparian and Donna Edwards who have been combining well in the defensive circle for the Murphies. This weekend they will come up against Nicole Reeves and Nicole Biszko who have been shooting with confidence for the Saints when they work in combination together. This will be a good match to watch with both teams looking to move away from the bottom end of the ladder. With a performance like last weekend, the Saints could steal the points.
April 29th 2014
May 6th 2014