The South Eastern Times : May 6th 2014
NEWS 5 State-wide fi re danger season ends LAST week marked the end of one of the state’s busiest fi re danger seasons. Although the South East remained reasonably unscathed throughout the state’s record-breaking hot summer, the region’s Country Fire Service (CFS) volunteers were kept busy. Regional commander John Probert said while the number of fires recorded across the South East were not above average, CFS volunteers attended severe fi res in other parts of the state. “This fi re season involved more area alight at one time than there was during Ash Wednesday,” he said. “The Bangor fi re was going for over a month. “It’s been a long, hard season for our volunteers and they have put in an amazing effort over the past six months.” Over 260 rural fi res were ignited across South Australia during a record heatwave on January 14. By midnight on January 17, state CFS crews had attended 420 rural fi res and 200 other incidents, including road accidents and building fi res not associated with the bushfi res. CFS chief officer Greg Nettleton thanked CFS firefighters who battled multiple high impact fires this season in rare weather conditions that the Bureau of Meteorology advised were a one in 100 year event. “I thank each and every one of our volunteers for the fantastic work done and for their dedication during what has been an exceptionally demanding fi re danger season,” he said. “The efforts of our fi refi ghters have been exemplary, with no lives lost and minimal losses experienced. “The contribution this season of CFS volunteers and staff, farmers and their fi re units, government agencies and our interstate fi re service colleagues has been nothing short of extraordinary.” While the fi re season has come to a close, Mr Probert said the work of CFS volunteers is far from fi nished. “CFS volunteers cover fi re and rescue throughout the South East,” he said. “We hope now the fire season is fi nished we won’t be faced with bush, plantation or grass fi res, but we still have to worry about structure fi res and road crashes. “This time of the year is when structure fi res begin to increase and with a number of fatal vehicle accidents across the region in recent weeks, our volunteers are far from fi nished.” Going into winter, Mr Probert stressed the importance of fire safety and preparation. “Now is the time people should be cleaning their fl ues, making sure their yard is clean and checking the batteries in their smoke alarms,” he said. www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au PROUD OF SERVICE: Compton Primary School principal Sandy Mullen discussed her school’s project with Heather Skeer and her daughter Helen Frusher. Students learn from region’s military past Small school shares research focus with history group AN insight into the historical research of students was recently provided at a meeting of the Millicent-based South East Family History Group. Compton Primary School principal Sandy Mullen spoke about her students’ commemoration of Anzac Day during the past fi ve years culminating in winning a national primary schools competition in 2011. The group arranges a wartime theme for its April meeting each year to coincide with Anzac Day. Ms Mullen said the Federal Government had offered a National Anzac Day’s Schools competition beginning with state awards and following with a national award. She said it involved a lot of work and was time consuming, but ultimately rewarding for the 85 students. The wider community became involved and the close relationship with the Mount Gambier RSL remains to this day. A presentation of the different stages of development was shown at the meeting, including the building of a trench in the school grounds using sandbags, wood and barbedwire with a heavy camoufl age net on loan from the Army Reserves. Children spent time in the trenches having lessons and were only allowed to crawl around inside and huddled together, which was an experience in itself. They held a dawn service and Children’s centre staff cuts expected in council budget A CUT to staffi ng levels at the Gladys Smith Learning Centre in Millicent has been signalled by Wattle Range Council. The reduction follows a review involving the number of staff required to manage the average number of children likely to be enrolled at the Bonshor Street centre in 2014/15. Council now expects to employ the equivalent of 99.4 full-time staff in all its operations in the next fi nancial year, which equates to a reduction of two people. According to council’s draft budget, the staffi ng is expected to cost $7.7m, which is an increase of $260,000 on the current year. This is attributed to annual wage increases of up to 3.8pc as provided by various enterprise bargaining agreements, higher superannuation payments and other factors. School leadership shuffl e as principal takes extended leave A MILLICENT school principal is about to take long service leave and travel overseas. Amanda Parslow will be away from St Anthony’s School from May 12 to June 18. Ali Noonan has been appointed as acting principal in Ms Parslow’s absence while Julian Rebellato will take on a supporting leadership role. Ms Parslow has been at the helm of St Anthony’s since the beginning of 2011 after transferring from Tenison Woods College in Mount Gambier. The South Eastern Times, Tuesday, May 6, 2014 - 5 invited families connected in the Compton area - children had a family to research from the National Archives and each soldier was represented at the dawn service. Life-size silhouettes of soldiers represented a wall of honour. The students make a bi-annual trip to Canberra. In 2011 they attended Parliament House where they were presented with a plaque and a $2000 donation in recognition for their exceptional effort. The school captured the history of their town by developing the trail of honour for the community where there were 57 local World War I and II veterans. Farm fuel theft report A THORNLEA farmer was robbed of more than $200 worth of diesel, stolen from a rural property in the early hours of Saturday morning. Millicent police are calling for information from the public about the theft, staged just after 5.30am in a paddock of the Piccaninny Lane property. About 140 litres of fuel was taken and investigations are continuing. Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Drink drive allegation A KINGSTON man was immediately stripped of his licence when he was caught drink driving on Saturday night. The 32-year-old was intercepted on East Terrace just after 9.30pm and police allege he returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.086. The man was prohibited from driving for six months and will face court in the coming weeks. Car crash charge laid AN Adelaide woman was driving in Millicent when her car spun out of control and crashed into a kerb on Friday morning. The 54-year-old, of Klemzig, was fined for driving without proper control when police attended the single vehicle crash at Ridge Terrace at 9.20am. No one was injured in the crash.
May 1st 2014
May 8th 2014