The South Eastern Times : July 17th 2014
SPORT 39 Saints aiming to avert long standing record RECORDS are made to be broken as some people claim. Others would like to see records stay intact for a long time and among those “others” at the moment would be every footballer, official and supporter linked to the Millicent Saints. Millicent is cur- rently enduring its equal worst ever run in the Western Border Football League, having lost its last 11 games. That streak matches the 11 game losing run, the Saints suffered from Round 13, 1998 till Round 5, 1999. In 2013, Millicent “won” its first ever wooden spoon in the Western Border and unfortunately is on track to make it backto-back “timberware.” Six rounds remain for the 2014 season with Millicent due to play – in order – West (away), Casterton/Sandford (home), South (away), East (home), Casterton/ Sandford (away) and West (home). While a finals spot BIG EXPERIENCE: Millicent’s Mason Redman will benefit greatly from playing in this year’s South East Zone Carnival and then the South Australian Country Championships. is nothing short of a pipedream this year, the Saints are building a team for the future. Second year coach Andrew Robinson and his coaching staff have been conscientiously blooding youngsters and giving them a taste of senior football. The Saints haven’t been left out of representative football this year with Steve Duldig captaining the Western Border interleague team in the inaugural South East Zone Carnival in early June and joined by teammates, Mason Redman, Cameron Haggett and Nat Robbins. Redman and Robbins also won selection in the Murray South East team which went on to win the South Australian Country Championships in Kadina for the first time. That experience will do wonders, particularly for the younger Redman who is sure to benefit in years to come. While Millicent Saints endure a bleak time on the field at senior level, all supporters are urged to “stick fast” with their beloved Saints. Robe calls on the Canadian mounties for help ROBE’S reserves football team had an international flavour at Glencoe last Saturday when three visiting Canadians pulled on the red-andwhite guernseys for the Roosters. Jeremy Smelser, Trever Howden and Joe Abare responded to a call to make-up the numbers for Robe. The Englishspeaking trio are currently working for Robe based forestry contractor and longtime Robe player, Barry Fennell. With a background in soccer and ice hockey, it was not surprising that the newcomers were unable to break Robe’s winless season. INTERNATIONAL FLAVOUR: Canadian trio, Jeremy Smelzer (left), Trever Howden (centre) and Joe Abare (right) join Robe regulars, Scott O’Dey (second from left) and Barry Fennell (second from right) celebrate their first ever game of Australian Rules football last weekend. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH However, Howden got his name in the record books by booting WEATHER FOR MILLICENT BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES Thursday 17 0248am 0.9 0645am 0.5 0308am 1.2 0752pm 0.6 Friday 18 0332am 0.9 0727am 0.6 0334pm 1.1 0825pm 0.5 Saturday 19 0427am 1 0812am 0.7 0349pm 1 0906pm 0.5 Sunday 20 0540am 1 0902am 0.8 1241pm 1 0951pm 0.5 Max 10°C Min 6°C Showers Chance of Rain - 90% Thursday Max 12°C Min 6°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain - 30% Friday Max 13°C Min 6°C Clearing Shower Chance of Rain - 40% Saturday Max 13°C Min 6°C Cloudy Chance of Rain - 40% Sunday Max 13°C Min 6°C Possible Shower Chance of Rain -60% Monday Thursday Partly cloudy. Scattered showers. Possible small hail. The chance of thunderstorms until late afternoon. Winds westerly 35 to 50 km/h decreasing to 25 to 40 km/h early in the morning then turning southwesterly in the early afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching around 11. Friday Partly cloudy. The chance of showers. Winds southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h tending south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning then becoming light during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to around 6 with daytime temperatures reaching around 14. Saturday Cloudy. Isolated showers in the south until evening. Light winds. Overnight temperatures falling to between 4 and 7 with daytime temperatures reaching around 14. Coastal: Wednesday Gale Warning for Wednesday for Lower South East Coast Winds Northwesterly 25 to 35 knots turning westerly 30 to 40 knots in the middle of the day. Seas 2.5 to 3 metres, increasing to 3 to 4 metres during the afternoon. Swell Southwesterly 3 to 4 metres, tending westerly 5 to 7 metres by early evening. Thursday Gale Warning for Thursday for Lower South East Coast Winds Westerly 25 to 30 knots, reaching 30 to 40 knots early in the morning. Winds turning southwesterly during the afternoon and south to southwesterly in the evening. Seas 3 to 5 metres, decreasing to 3 metres during the morning. Swell Westerly 5 to 7 metres, tending southwesterly 5 metres by early evening. www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au ROBE TIDE TIMES Thursday 17 0300am 0.9 0657am 0.5 0320pm 1.2 0804pm 0.6 Friday 18 0344am 0.9 0739am 0.6 0346pm 1.1 0837pm 0.5 Saturday 19 0439am 1 0824am 0.7 0401pm 1 0918pm 0.5 Sunday 20 0552am 1 0914am 0.8 1253pm 1 1003pm 0.5 Thursday 17th Sunrise 7:19 Sunset 5:10 Friday 18th 648447 The South Eastern Times, Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 39 Saturday 19th Sunrise 7:18 Sunset 5:11 Sunday 20th Sunrise 7:18 Sunset 5:10 Sunrise 7:17 Sunset 5:12 one of Robe’s two goals. The Murphies defeated the Roosters by 128-points, 20.22 (142) v 2.2 (14). – J.L. “FRED” SMITH At the Barrier with David Gilbert History assistance required THE Millicent Racing Club was all set to have a celebration at the end of August to recognise 140 years existence of the local club. However with records dating back to 1874 not that easy to come by, there is now a bit of uncertainty as to the actual date the club was formed. More facts are required as to confirmation of the date, the name of the original president and the committee members of the time and anything else that may be of assistance. There is speculation that the first race meeting for the MRC was actually held at Mount Burr, but that too requires clarification. That’s where the current commit- tee is hoping that some historical minded citizens of the region may have some relevant information to guide them before a celebration dinner is organised. Contact club secretary Jo Layden (0449-891-715) or Ian “Ned” Walker (0419-038-574) if you can help. New fencing MILLICENT Racing Club president, Mr Keith Sneath reports that a successful working bee was held out at the racecourse recently. After old fencing was taken down and replaced by new railing, the workers adjourned for a barbecue. So, which took longer, the working bee or the barbecue? “That’s a toss up,” Mr Sneath acknowledged. Back for another stint TWELVE months ago, local jockey Paul Marks made the most of a working holiday in northern Australia by booting home several winners. They were mainly at the end of his sojourn in August at far flung places such as Kununurra and Wyndham in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Marks has again headed north for, hopefully, a repeat performance and he has been in action at Fannie Bay (Darwin) the past two Saturdays. He is yet to crack it for a winner but has been around the mark with three placings. Also looking for her first Northern Territory winner during the Darwin Cup Carnival – which continues until Monday, August 4 – is Keith based trainer Heather Lehmann with her handful of runners. Meanwhile, you will not see the name of Melissa Walters as a jockey in the form guides any more. The former Mount Gambier based rider is now riding under the name of Melissa Baster since her recent marriage to fellow jockey, Stephen Baster. OFFICIAL CHANGE: Mount Gambier based jockey Melissa Walters will now officially race under her married surname, Baster. HAVE SADDLE, WILL TRAVEL: Millicent jockey Paul Marks is currently racing in Darwin after a recent campaign in the north-west area of Western Australia. WORKED UP A HUNGER: Millicent Racing Club president Keith Sneath hosted an informal barbecue recently that allegedly lasted longer than the working bee.
July 15th 2014
July 22nd 2014