The South Eastern Times : November 27th 2014
SPORT 39 At the Barrier with David Gilbert Back in town with a winner AFTER a six week sojourn to the Northern Territory and Western Australia, local trainer Ian “Ned” Walker has wasted no time being back in the winner’s stall. Walker took three runners to Naracoorte last Friday and finished the day more than happy with a winner and a third. The smile on his face after Lead The Witness quickly returned to form to take out the Benchmark 80 handicap over 1430 metres did not translate to money in the pocket though. “I never had a cent on her,” Walker lamented after the race, which is most unusual as he is normally seen bartering strongly with local bookmakers to get the best odds on the planet about his runners. Mind you, Lead The Witness looked destined for second placing much of the way up the straight after Feeling Invincible and then Akbar Mahal were briefly being hailed the winner. With Adelaide jockey Ben Claridge not fulfilling his four riding commitments at Naracoorte on Friday, Horsham jockey Holly McKechnie got the late pick up ride on Lead The Witness, and from Walker’s comments he was mighty glad she did. “I told Holly not to go inside another horse and she rode the mare to instructions perfectly,” he commented. McKechnie certainly did, as Lead The Witness ($3.50-$4) was the widest runner on the home turn (about six wide), and it was not until the shadows of the post that the five-year-old mare really dug deep to sweep past Akbar Mahal and score by a neck. Lead The Witness brought off a plunge when successful at Morphettville back in June, but failed to flatter when a first up sixth at the same venue on LEADING THE WAY: The Ian “Ned” Walker trained, Lead The Witness was an impressive winner at last Friday’s Naraccoorte rate meeting. Melbourne Cup day. “Now she’s coming good, we will either go to Mount Gambier on Friday, December 5 or head back to Adelaide,” was Walker’s parting comment. Deceptive finish WHICH ever way the photo finish went after the 1000 metre maiden plate at Naracoorte on Friday, somebody from Millicent was going to be pleased. The Sue Murphy trained Night News and Hadda Couple from the local stable of Jeremy Kenny hit the line locked together, and many in the big Friday crowd were of the opinion that Hadda Couple might have prevailed. However the judge found a margin – a nostril – in favour of Night News, owned at Kalangadoo by Phil and Lyn Aitken. Local hoop Paul Marks was the winning rider, and a few involved with the Sue Murphy stable were cock-a-hoop as they had obtained fixed odds of $51 about Night News. Paul had Night News, first up from a 10 month spell, travelling sweetly behind a wall of horses on the home turn, and “the seas parted” at the top of the straight to enable Murphy to win her seventh local race of Picture: TODD’S PHOTOGRAPHICS the season and briefly sit on top of the premiership ladder. Sprint lane at trots HOW many punters over the years have cursed the fact their fancy has not got a run in the straight at Mount Gambier trots after lobbing behind the leader? That should be a thing of the past now that a sprint lane has been installed at the Greenwald Paceway in the past week and it is all systems go for the first harness meeting on Sunday. Harness officials are delighted with the 57 runners for the seven races, which commences at 5.45pm and is all over by 8.36pm. Pre-Christmas meeting AFTER very good crowds at Mount Gambier and Naracoorte during November, there is plenty of optimism about the pre-Christmas twilight meeting for the Mount Gambier Racing Club tomorrow week (Friday, December 5). Table bookings are heavy for meals upstairs with a special Christmas menu prepared, and Father Christmas will make an appearance around 5pm to distribute bags of lollies. Seven races are scheduled with the first race around 2pm. Bowls teams LOWER South East Bowls Association teams: Friday roster Beachport Division 3 Red (away v Mount Gambier RSL): J. Preston (skip), R. Sims, P. Wakelin, B. Jolley; R. Gilbertson (skip), R. Burdon, W. Burdon, J. Amos. Division 3 Blue (away v Robe): S. Werchon (skip), J. Hall, P. Hales, L. Smith; A. Goode (skip), M. Redden, S. Young, R. Kain. Millicent Division 1 (away v Mount Gambier RSL): H. Carthew (skip), D. Stephens, R. Varcoe, S. Galpin; J. Saint (skip), M. Stevens, M. Fennell, B. Pretty. Division 2 Red (home v Millicent Blue): E. Pietersma (skip), C. Godden, J. Buhlmann, C. Gibbs; J. Greenwood (skip), M. Campbell, B. Schuller, J. Madden. Division 2 Blue (away v Millicent Red): D. Evans (skip), E. Scudds, D. Bellman, P. Hyland; M. Johnson (skip), J. Lowe, J. Ellis, A. Ross. Division 3 (home v Naracoorte RSL): M. Elton (skip), L. Carnellor, P. Hitchcock, D. Harkness; F. Richards (skip), M. Allen, B. Davy, L. Madden. Umpire: M. Johnson. WEATHER FOR MILLICENT Thursday 27 0344am 1.2 0732pm 0.3 Friday BEACHPORT TIDE TIMES - - - - - - 28 0421am 1.1 0203pm 0.5 0412pm 0.6 0806pm 0.3 Saturday 29 0501am 1 0312pm 0.5 0519pm 0.6 0841pm 0.5 Sunday 30 0545am 0.9 0407pm 0.5 - Max 23°C Min 6°C Mostly Sunny Thursday Chance of Rain - 5% UV: Extreme Chance of Rain -5% UV: Extreme Max 27°C Min 7°C Mostly Sunny Friday Max 31°C Min 11°C Mostly Sunny Saturday Chance of Rain - 10% UV: Extreme Chance of Rain - 60% UV: Very High Max 32°C Min 16°C Possible Shower Sunday Max 29°C Min 13°C Mostly Sunny Chance of Rain - 30% Monday Thursday Sunny. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 4 and 7 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s. Friday Partly cloudy. Light winds becoming south to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day then becoming light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 8 with daytime temperatures reaching 26 to 31. Saturday Mostly sunny. Light winds becoming northwest to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day then tending southeast to southwesterly during the afternoon. Overnight temperatures falling to between 11 and 14 with daytime temperatures reaching 30 to 35. Coastal: Thursday Winds Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots, reaching 20 to 25 knots inshore in the afternoon and early evening. Seas Around 1 metre, increasing to 1 to 2 metres during the afternoon. Swell Southwesterly 2 to 2.5 metres. Friday Winds Southeasterly 15 to 20 knots. Seas 1 to 1.5 metres. Swel Southwesterly 2 to 2.5 metres. 651040 www.thesoutheasterntimes.com.au The South Eastern Times, Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 39 Thursday 27 0356am 1.2 0744pm 0.3 Friday ROBE TIDE TIMES - - - - - - 28 433am 1.1 0215pm 0.5 0424pm 0.6 0818pm 0.3 Saturday 29 0513am 1 0324pm 0.5 0531pm 0.6 0853pm 0.5 Sunday 30 0557am 0.9 0419pm 0.5 - Thursday 27th Sunrise 5:41 Friday 28th Saturday 29th Sunday 30th Sunrise 5:41 Sunrise 5:41 Sunrise 5:41 - - Sunset 8:10 Sunset 8:11 Sunset 8:12 Sunset 8:13 Measurer: M. Elton. Emergency: M. Richards. Saturday roster Beachport W. Burdon (skip), B. Jolley, E. Burleigh, G. Trezise; J. Preston (skip), P. Copping, I. Werchon, A. Young; A. Mc Kenzie (skip), V. Bowman, R. Dunsford, N. Killick. Reserve: J. Mc Arthur Millicent Division 1 Red (away v Mount Gambier): I. Campbell (skip), S. Carnellor, P. Scanlon, A. Madden; R. Gibbs (skip), G. Jones, I. Ross, D. Crase; T. Barnes (skip), H. Henderson, L. Warneke, N. Whelan. Division 1 Blue (home v Naracoorte RSL): M. Gandolfi (skip), D. Schultz, J. Madden, J. Buhlmann; B. Davis (skip), G. Tilley, D. Bowering, J. Eldridge; D. Pietersma (skip), P. Varcoe, A. Correll, R. Chambers. Division 3 Red (home v Naracoorte): R. Horne (skip), W. Burris, D. Taylor, T. Lonergan; A. Damhuis (skip), J. Earl, P. Bateman, G. Brown; B. Baxter (skip), J. Chalmers, N. Peart, B. Atkinson. Division 3 Blue (away v Lucindale): B. Schuller (skip), R. Harkness, R. Thiele, A. Strother; P. Ryan (skip), D. Stephens, P. Hyland, D. Reichelt; D. Botting (skip), M. Wright, A. Cecotti, R. Doecke. Division 4 (home v Lucindale): B. Pettman (skip), M. Rodaro, M. Richards, B. Fennell; D. Chilton (skip), R. Atkinson, C. Elton, B. Stoddart; B. Cattanach (skip), J. Drew, E. Fitter, C. Pye. Division 5 (away v Port MacDonnell Red): M. Blacketer (skip), M. Vanderhorst, D. Vanderheul, B. Johnson; R. Trewin (skip), F. Weber, B. Mullan, K. Taylor. Umpire: J. Madden. Contact: S. Carnellor. Measurer’s: D. Bowering and D. Pietersma. Emergencies: J. Edgecumbe and C. Earl. IMPRESSIVE PERFORMANCE: Millicent players, Jed Haines (left) and Harry Willis played impressively for the Upper South East team in last week’s BankSA Under 12 Cricket Carnival in Adelaide. Junior stars on parade JUNIOR players from the Millicent and District Cricket Association enjoyed success at the recent BankSA Under 12 Country Carnival in Adelaide. Representing the Upper South East, the best game for Harry Willis was the third when he opened the batting in a Twenty/20 fixture and made 35. In the following game, Willis opened the bowling and took 2/9 off four overs. The third game was also the best for Jed Haines. He came in with the score at 4/72 and featured in a 47 run partnership to see his side set a winning target of 128. Then Haines backed it up by bowling first change and taking 1/9 off three economical overs.
November 25th 2014
December 2nd 2014